Connect with us

News

Ghana Immigration Arrest 20-year-old Nigerian Woman For Trafficking Two Nigerian Girls Into The Country For Prostitution

Published

on

A 20-year-old Nigerian woman has been arrested by The Ghana Immigration Service (GIS) for allegedly trafficking Nigerian girls to Ghana to engage in prostitution.

The suspect identified as Favour Chidi, who claims to be a prostitute herself, was arrested by officers of the Tema Regional Immigration Command for attempting to transport two Nigerian girls to Ghana under the pretext of getting jobs for them.

The Tema Regional Commander of the Ghana Immigration Service, Assistant Commissioner of Immigration (ACI) Kojo Oppong Yeboah, who confirmed the development in a statement issued to the media on Tuesday, November 17, said the victims, a 20-year-old fashion designer and a 19-year-old girl, who had just completed her secondary education, were both rescued before they were transported to the Western North Region.

Chidi was apprehended based on intelligence received by the Command indicating that she had, through an agent in Nigeria, lured and recruited two ladies for her prostitution business in Ghana.

It was gathered during preliminary investigations that four ladies were recruited in Nigeria and promised to be offered lucrative jobs as sales girls in Ghana, but were to be distributed to some unknown female prostitute kingpins, precisely in Enchi in the Western North Region of Ghana.

Unfortunately, upon arrival, of immigration officers at the pickup location, two of the ladies had already been removed by accomplices and relocated to an unknown destination.

Further investigation revealed that Chidi was once a victim who was brought to Ghana to work for a woman as a prostitute at Enchi, and after serving for four months and paying all expenses incurred on her as part of her recruitment deal, she was set free.

She then started her own prostitution business and that was when she requested for the ladies to be sent to her from Nigeria to work for her as prostitutes.

The suspect and the victims had all been referred to the Headquarters of the GIS for further investigations and prosecution.

ACI Yeboah said “human trafficking is evil, dehumanizing and illegal in Ghana and offenders are liable to a summary conviction of not less than five years imprisonment.

“In addition to the jail term, properties acquired from proceeds of human trafficking will be confiscated and auctioned to fund anti-human trafficking programmes.” he added.

Yeboah affirmed that it was the duty of every Ghanaian to report all matters relating to human trafficking to the security agencies for appropriate action to be taken in order to eradicate the menace from the Ghanaian society.

The Regional Commander cautioned parents to take particular interest in the welfare of their female children and be aware of the activities of agents who came to them with promises of taking their children abroad to better their lives.

He also advised young ladies not to be tricked by unscrupulous persons to journey for non-existing jobs abroad.

“Pursue their education to the highest level or learn a trade, because soliciting for prostitution is illegal and it also comes with a lot of health risks.” he said.

Confirming the arrest in an interview on Wednesday, the Head of Public Affairs of the Ghana Immigration Service (GIS), Michael Amoako-Atta stated that the case has been sent to the appropriate authorities to be dealt with from there while the Tema Regional Command continues investigations alongside.

“Looking at the nature of the trafficking issue, the Tema Regional Command has, as we speak, forwarded the victim and the suspect to the National headquarters for further investigation and possible prosecution in the court. We are still doing an investigation, it looks like there are others that have to bring on board pertaining to this particular arrest
.” he said

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

News

Jean Mensa Thank God For How Far He Has Brought The EC And It’s Staff

Published

on


The Chairperson of the Electoral Commision Mrs Jean Mensa has thanked God for how far he has brought the Commission since she assumed office some four month ago.

According to her they started from zero but God has been merciful to her and the hardworking staff of the commission.


READ ALSO:Ghana Election 2020: The Akufo-Addo Led Gov’t Has Destroyed More Jobs Than It Has Created – John Mahama

“When we joined the Commission 4 months to the Referendum and had to start from ground zero, it seemed hard but God saw us through. Praise be to God for His assistance, for our able and competent staff and for giving us strength and wisdom to put all preparations for the 2020 Elections together – Jean Mensa, EC Chairperson”she noted in a post sighted by Ghgossip.com


Source:www.Ghgossip.com

Source link

Continue Reading

News

Senate summons Pantami over insecurity

Published

on


Sanni Onogu, Abuja

The Senate, on Wednesday, summoned the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr. Isa Ali Pantami, over what it described as the inability of the Ministry to stop the use of mobile phones to negotiate ransom payment by kidnappers in the country.


The Senate said that Patami would appear before its Committees on Legislative Compliance and Communications on the need for him to implement resolutions of the upper chamber on how to curb insecurity in the country which are related to the mandate of the ministry of communication.


This resolution of the upper chamber followed the consideration of a motion on the growing insecurity in the country sponsored by Senator Emmanuel Bwacha (Taraba South).

Rising under Order 42 and 52 of the Senate Rules, Senator Emmanuel Bwacha (Taraba South), noted that “the rate of insecurity in Nigeria has not only increased astronomically but has reached a melting point.”

According to the lawmaker, the challenge has manifested in the kidnapping, banditry, armed robbery, assassination, and other criminal activity in the country.

“The assassination of Nasarawa State APC Chairman and other high profile cases are still fresh in our memories.

“A Chinese National was recently abducted in my community, his whereabouts is still unknown,” Bwacha said.

He further expressed worry that “there is growing suspicion of the complicity of officials of state saddled with the responsibility of protecting lives and property of the citizens, but have compromised in the process.

READ ALSO: #EndSARS protests: Senate seeks special fund for Lagos, others

“This is heightened by the arrest of several security operatives involved in armed robbery and kidnapping activities across the country.

“It is only in Nigeria that communication facilities can be used without a biometric process, no valid identification of passport details (in the case of foreigners) in place to check abuse.”

He expressed worry that “bandits and terrorists negotiate for ransom using telephones and getting away with it.

“How can we be so negligent and insensitive to the safety and security of citizens?”

“Senate is concerned that the confidence between the protected and the protector is being increasingly eroded resulting in the breakdown of law and order as demonstrated in the #EndSARS protest which was subsequently hijacked by miscreants.

“Further notes that political permutations across the landscape is attracting politicians to recruit criminals for the purpose of destabilizing the corporate existence of Nigeria.

“These evil intents can be easily achieved given the poor control over communication facilities, viz inability of our security apparatus and service providers to effectively manage this all-important sector,” Bwacha said.

Senators in their contributions supported the motion.

The Nation

Continue Reading

News

Meghan Markle reveals she suffered miscarriage in July

Published

on


Meghan Markle, The Duchess of Sussex has opened up that she suffered a miscarriage in July


In a moving account written for the New York Times, Meghan reveals how she lost her unborn baby while she and husband Harry were living in Los Angeles.


Meghan Markle reveals she suffered miscarriage in July

She describes a normal morning feeding her dogs, taking her vitamins and changing son Archie’s diaper, before feeling a sharp cramp.

“I dropped to the floor,” Markle, 39, wrote. Adding, she had a “sense that something was not right. I knew, as I clutched my firstborn child, that I was losing my second.”

“Hours later, I lay in a hospital bed, holding my husband’s hand,” she wrote. “Staring at the cold white walls, my eyes glazed over. I tried to imagine how we’d heal.”

“Losing a child means carrying an almost unbearable grief, experienced by many but talked about by few,” she added.

Meghan, 39, goes on to describe candidly how, following her loss, she tried to keep a “brave face” in public.

She refers to an interview with journalist Tom Bradby, filmed during her and Harry’s trip to South Africa, when he asked her how she was doing and she answered: “Thank you for asking. Not many people have asked if I’m OK.”

Meghan ends the article by encouraging people to ask others how they are doing, inviting men and women to “take the first steps towards healing”, Standard UK reports.

Follow us on Facebook – @Lailasnews; Twitter – @LailaIjeoma for updates

lailasnews>

Continue Reading

Popular this week