Connect with us

Sport

‘I feel like I’m in kindergarten dealing with Jose Mourinho’ – Arsene Wenger opens up on frosty relationship with former rival

Published

on

Former Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger has responded to Jose Mourinho’s comments about his autobiography, where Mourinho was conspicuously omitted.

Wenger joined Arsenal in 1996 and won three premier league titles along with numerous other major honours in a 20 year career at the club.

After leaving Arsenal in 2018, the 70-year-old Wenger released his autobiography My Life in Red and White earlier this month, detailing his long tenure with the club among other things.

In the book he spoke about his famed rivalry with Sir Alex Ferguson, but avoided talking about Mourinho with whom he had a frosty relationship with.

Quizzed earlier in the week about his absence from the pages, Mourinho said he got the better of Wenger throughout their managerial career together.

“You are not going to do a chapter about 12 or 14 matches and never win one so why should he speak about me in his book?” he stated.

“A book is a thing to make you happy, to make you proud so I understand perfectly the situation.”

Wenger has now responded to the Tottenham manager’s comments, singling out Mourinho’s response as petty.

According to Wenger, Mourinho’s attitude of “permanent provocation” makes him feel like he is dealing with a particularly unruly kindergartener.

“It doesn’t bother me,” he told Canal+. “It is permanent provocation. I feel like I’m in kindergarten with him. But, that’s part of his personality.

“It’s wrong, we beat him twice. We won, and there were also a lot of draws. And it is not ‘you’ who wins, you only participate in the victory. It is ‘us’ who win. The manager is there to get the most out of a team.”

Wenger also spoke about speculation that Real Madrid wanted to sign him during his career saying he rejected Madrid twice to remain with the club who helped transform into a powerhouse of British football.

“Yes, I have refused them twice,” he added. “But I was in a perspective [to] what I had undertaken. We had built the stadium, and we had to pay.”

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Sport

Wilfred Ndidi reveals excitement at returning to Leicester City after three months injury nightmare

Published

on

Super Eagles and Leicester City midfielder, Wilfred Ndidi has expressed his delight at his imminent return from a long-term groin injury that has sidelined him since September

The 23-year-old suffered the injury problem against Burnley in September and has only featured in two Premier League games for the King Power Stadium outfit in the 2020-21 season, missing their previous 13 games.

Ndidi was arguably Leicester City’s best player last season when they finished fifth on the league table to clinch a Europa League ticket.

Wilfred Ndidi reveals excitement at returning to Leicester City after three months injury nightmare

Ndidi is set to make a return for Leicester against Zorya in their Europa League group game on Thursday night and has revealed his excitement.

“Hi guys, it’s Wilfred Ndidi and we are happy to be back and hopefully things go well,” Ndidi said in a video posted by Leicester on Twitter alongside his teammate Ricardo Pereira.

Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers is also excited by Ndidi’s return.

“Wilfred Ndidi, it’ll be fantastic to see him back. Caglar Soyuncu will play. Ricardo Pereira as well. Timothy Castagne is still out, we’ll see how he is when we get back,” Rodgers said in a pre-match press conference.

Ndidi joined Leicester since 2017 when he teamed up with the Premier League club from Belgian side Genk.

Continue Reading

Entertainment News

“You were amazing” – Fans hail Ozo for his successful debut on his sports show (Photos)

Published

on

Reality tv star cum sports analyst, Ozo won the heart of many with a beautiful performance as host for a sports show on radio last night.

Recall Ozo announced his new position as a sports analyst on the popular Nigerian radio station, BrilaFM a few days ago. Last night was his first day at work and he has been described as a perfect radio show host.

The fans have rated him as the best man for the job due to his vast knowledge in sports. His employers also gave him a pat on the shoulder for a job well done

See image below;

Continue Reading

News

Chelsea news live: Blues in pole position to land Alaba, Barca want Rudiger, Lampard on Hudson-Odoi, Gilmour latest

Published

on




Chelsea news and gossip is coming in thick and fast and Sportarena is on hand to bring you all the very latest from Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea in pole position to land David Alaba on free transfer next summer

Chelsea are already pressing ahead with plans to improve their squad for next season, despite we only three-and-a-half months into the current campaign.

According to reports, the Blues remain at the front of the queue to sign Bayern Munich veteran defender David Alaba on a free transfer in summer 2021.

Spanish outlet AS claim that the Premier League side aim to meet with the 28-year-old’s representatives in January in the hope of securing Alaba to a pre-contract.

His agent is Pini Zahavi who has concluded many deals with Blues owner Roman Abramovich in the past.

The Austria international will be a free agent at the end of the season, after Bayern decided to withdraw their offer for a new deal, and is free to talk to foreign clubs about his future in January transfer window.

Alaba’s stellar performances at the German giants has attracted a number of suitors with European heavyweights Paris Saint-Germain, Juventus and Real Madrid all in the hunt for him as well. Liverpool and Manchester City have also been linked with the defender in the past too.

However, AS state that Chelsea lead the race with Frank Lampard keen to build his defence around David Alaba.

Barcelona considering moves for Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger

Barcelona have reportedly made Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger included Arsenal’s Shkodran Mustafi their alternative defensive targets if they fail to secure the sign of Eric Garcia when the transfer window opens next month.

Veteran defender Gerard Pique is likely to be sidelined for around four month after picking up a knee ligament injury in November, leaving Ronald Koeman’s side short of option in the centre of defence.

City defender Eric Garcia is still Koeman’s No 1 target but the Catalan giants have lined up the out-of-favour Rudiger and Mustafi as possible back-up options, according to Mundo Deportivo.

Lampard on left Hudson out of Blues squad against Spur

Frank Lampard has admitted it was difficult to tell starlet Callum Hudson-Odoi that he would play no part in Blues’ clash with Tottenham despite his good run of form.

The 20-year-old has impressed since making his way back into the team in recent weeks, having scored the opening goal in Chelsea’s 2-1 win over Rennes before making a cameo role in the win over Newcastle United.

He looked set to feature in Sunday’s derby but manager Frank Lampard had to tell him that he would not be in the squad against Spurs, which ended in a goalless stalemate at Stamford Bridge.

And while it was a blow for the 20-year-old, Frank Lampard insists he is back in contention to face Sevilla in the Champions League on Wednesday evening.

‘It was difficult to tell him that he wasn’t in the Spurs squad as his attitude has been bang on,’ said Lampard.

‘He was bright against Rennes and Newcastle. He is getting better and is back in contention and I want him to keep that going. I want him to stay positive.

‘I am aware of Callum and where he is at, he took it well but it wasn’t and easy conversation. I am not worried about the noise around it, I just have to pick the right squad. I have to work with him positively.

‘I can relate to it because we all have steps on the ladder. He got into the team and there was a lot of talk around him and he got a bad injury.

‘Now time and work have shown that he’s back and then you have to appreciate he is developing.

‘I have to see the bigger picture and he is hopefully going to have hundreds of games ahead of him. We have a big squad, it has to be a strength and not a weakness.’

Lampard issues update on Billy Gilmour ahead of Sevilla vs Chelsea

Frank Lampard has confirmed starlet Billy Gilmour is in contention to face Sevilla in the Uefa Champions League on Wednesday evening.

Gilmour is yet to feature for the first-team this campaign having struggled with a knee injury he picked up in the summer.

But Blues boss Frank Lampard delivered some good news in today’s pre-match press conference ahead of Wednesday night’s clash with Sevilla, confirming Gilmour will be in the squad.

‘He is fit and he could probably do with some more match minutes,” he said.

‘He is in the squad tomorrow and it would be nice for him to get some minutes in these two group stages.

‘He has a great attitude and will compete with the rest of the midfielders.’

Gilmour, 19, played two games since his injury, both with the under-23s, playing his first full 90 minutes the week before last having previously played 60 minutes in the EFL Cup.

The Scott is one of the brightest up and coming talents from the Chelsea youth system and he has already racked up six league appearances for the first-team, as well as more outings in cup competitions.

Source link

Continue Reading

Popular this week