Connect with us

Sport

‘If you don’t win, people want to destroy everything’ – Pep Guardiola responds to his critics after Man City win

Published

on

Manchester City manager, Pep Guardiola, has responded to his critics after his team’s 3-0 win over Marseille on Tuesday night, October 27.

Guardiola has faced criticism as Manchester City has experienced a poor start to the 2020-21 season and are in 13th place in the Premier League after two wins, two draws and a 5-2 defeat to Leicester City.

But in the Champions League the club has secured two wins, a 3-1 win over Porto followed by Tuesday night’s 3-0 victory at Marseille taking them to top of Group C.

The Spanish coach says he understands why his side have been under fire as this is his worst ever start to a league season as a head coach.

“We have to accept the criticism,” Guardiola told BT Sport.

“We play every three days, when you win it’s good but if you don’t people want to destroy everything.

“But it’s about the chairman and everyone else understanding. Part of the criticism was right, but you’ve got to accept it. It’s part of our job.

“It’s about where we’ve come from in the last month, with lack of preparation, injuries and Covid-19 but the Champions League is in a good place now. I’m sure we’re going to find that consistency.”

“We played really well, we didn’t concede much and we were in control, patient and aggressive without the ball,” Guardiola added. “I’m so satisfied with the performance and result, it’s always difficult to win away.

“We can play on both sides, we tried to play high and wide to stretch the pitch. Raheem Sterling was exceptional, Phil [Foden] as well. We didn’t expect them to play five at the back until we saw the team. Porto was the same. As much as we play against five at the back we started to take the control and rhythm.

“We were so stable defensively. Aymeric [Laporte] was good, Kyle [Walker] is in the best form since we’ve been together, Oleksandr [Zinchenko] helped us, John [Stones] played good minutes. I’m so satisfied with the way we played.”

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

News

Chelsea news live: Blues in pole position to land Alaba, Barca want Rudiger, Lampard on Hudson-Odoi, Gilmour latest

Published

on




Chelsea news and gossip is coming in thick and fast and Sportarena is on hand to bring you all the very latest from Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea in pole position to land David Alaba on free transfer next summer

Chelsea are already pressing ahead with plans to improve their squad for next season, despite we only three-and-a-half months into the current campaign.

According to reports, the Blues remain at the front of the queue to sign Bayern Munich veteran defender David Alaba on a free transfer in summer 2021.

Spanish outlet AS claim that the Premier League side aim to meet with the 28-year-old’s representatives in January in the hope of securing Alaba to a pre-contract.

His agent is Pini Zahavi who has concluded many deals with Blues owner Roman Abramovich in the past.

The Austria international will be a free agent at the end of the season, after Bayern decided to withdraw their offer for a new deal, and is free to talk to foreign clubs about his future in January transfer window.

Alaba’s stellar performances at the German giants has attracted a number of suitors with European heavyweights Paris Saint-Germain, Juventus and Real Madrid all in the hunt for him as well. Liverpool and Manchester City have also been linked with the defender in the past too.

However, AS state that Chelsea lead the race with Frank Lampard keen to build his defence around David Alaba.

Barcelona considering moves for Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger

Barcelona have reportedly made Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger included Arsenal’s Shkodran Mustafi their alternative defensive targets if they fail to secure the sign of Eric Garcia when the transfer window opens next month.

Veteran defender Gerard Pique is likely to be sidelined for around four month after picking up a knee ligament injury in November, leaving Ronald Koeman’s side short of option in the centre of defence.

City defender Eric Garcia is still Koeman’s No 1 target but the Catalan giants have lined up the out-of-favour Rudiger and Mustafi as possible back-up options, according to Mundo Deportivo.

Lampard on left Hudson out of Blues squad against Spur

Frank Lampard has admitted it was difficult to tell starlet Callum Hudson-Odoi that he would play no part in Blues’ clash with Tottenham despite his good run of form.

The 20-year-old has impressed since making his way back into the team in recent weeks, having scored the opening goal in Chelsea’s 2-1 win over Rennes before making a cameo role in the win over Newcastle United.

He looked set to feature in Sunday’s derby but manager Frank Lampard had to tell him that he would not be in the squad against Spurs, which ended in a goalless stalemate at Stamford Bridge.

And while it was a blow for the 20-year-old, Frank Lampard insists he is back in contention to face Sevilla in the Champions League on Wednesday evening.

‘It was difficult to tell him that he wasn’t in the Spurs squad as his attitude has been bang on,’ said Lampard.

‘He was bright against Rennes and Newcastle. He is getting better and is back in contention and I want him to keep that going. I want him to stay positive.

‘I am aware of Callum and where he is at, he took it well but it wasn’t and easy conversation. I am not worried about the noise around it, I just have to pick the right squad. I have to work with him positively.

‘I can relate to it because we all have steps on the ladder. He got into the team and there was a lot of talk around him and he got a bad injury.

‘Now time and work have shown that he’s back and then you have to appreciate he is developing.

‘I have to see the bigger picture and he is hopefully going to have hundreds of games ahead of him. We have a big squad, it has to be a strength and not a weakness.’

Lampard issues update on Billy Gilmour ahead of Sevilla vs Chelsea

Frank Lampard has confirmed starlet Billy Gilmour is in contention to face Sevilla in the Uefa Champions League on Wednesday evening.

Gilmour is yet to feature for the first-team this campaign having struggled with a knee injury he picked up in the summer.

But Blues boss Frank Lampard delivered some good news in today’s pre-match press conference ahead of Wednesday night’s clash with Sevilla, confirming Gilmour will be in the squad.

‘He is fit and he could probably do with some more match minutes,” he said.

‘He is in the squad tomorrow and it would be nice for him to get some minutes in these two group stages.

‘He has a great attitude and will compete with the rest of the midfielders.’

Gilmour, 19, played two games since his injury, both with the under-23s, playing his first full 90 minutes the week before last having previously played 60 minutes in the EFL Cup.

The Scott is one of the brightest up and coming talents from the Chelsea youth system and he has already racked up six league appearances for the first-team, as well as more outings in cup competitions.

Source link

Continue Reading

Sport

Super Falcons star, Asisat Oshoala nominated for 2020 UEFA fans’ Women’s Team of the Year

Published

on

Super Falcons star, Asisat Oshoala, who plays as a striker for Barcelona Femení has been nominated for the 2020 UEFA fans’ Women’s Team of the Year.

The Nigerian international, 26, who has scored twice this season for the Spanish women’s side is the only Nigerian female player shortlisted, among the 50-woman listed for the award by UEFA on Tuesday.

“The nominees are proposed by the UEFA editorial team before being validated by the Technical Observer panel on the basis of their performances in UEFA competitions and domestic competitions within UEFA member associations from January to December 2020,” UEFA said in a statement on Tuesday.

“The UEFA.com Women’s Team of the Year is chosen to reflect the votes of the fans in parallel with players’ achievements over the course of the calendar year, moderated by the UEFA Technical Observer panel.”

See the full list of nominees below:

Goalkeepers: Sarah Bouhaddi (Lyon & France), Christiane Endler (Paris Saint-Germain & Chile), Hedvig Lindahl (Wolfsburg/Atlético & Sweden), Sandra Paños (Barcelona & Spain), Sari van Veenendaal (Atlético/PSV Eindhoven & Netherlands).

Defenders: Lucy Bronze (Lyon/Manchester City & England), Kadeisha Buchanan (Lyon & Canada), Paulina Dudek (Paris Saint-Germain & Poland), Kathrin Hendrich (Bayern/Wolfsburg & Germany), Magdelena Eriksson (Chelsea & Sweden), Steph Houghton (Manchester City & England), Dominique Janssen (Wolfsburg & Netherlands), Sakina Karchaoui (Montpellier/Lyon & France), Mapi León (Barcelona & Spain), Maren Mjelde (Chelsea & Norway), Lena Oberdorf (Essen/Wolfsburg & Germany), Irene Paredes (Paris Saint-Germain & France), Wendie Renard (Lyon & France), Marta Torrejón (Barcelona & Spain), Leah Williamson (Arsenal & England).

Midfielders: Erin Cuthbert (Chelsea & England), Daniëlle van de Donk (Arsenal & Netherlands), Ingrid Engen (Wolfsburg & Norway), Sara Björk Gunnarsdóttir (Wolfsburg/Lyon & Iceland), Kheira Hamraoui (Barcelona & France), Amandine Henry (Lyon & France), Svenja Huth (Wolfsburg & Germany), Ji So-yun (Chelsea & South Korea), Saki Kumagai (Chelsea & Japan), Kim Little (Arsenal & Scotland), Lina Magull (Bayern & Germany), Amel Majri (Lyon & France), Dzsenifer Marozsán (Lyon & Germany), Alex Popp (Wolfsburg & Germany), Alexia Putellas (Barcelona & Spain).

Forwards: Delphine Cascarino (Lyon & France), Kadidiatou Diani (Paris Saint-Germain & France), Beth England (Chelsea & England), Cristiana Girelli (Juventus & Italy), Caroline Graham Hansen (Barcelona & Norway), Pernille Harder (Wolfsburg/Chelsea & Denmark), Jenni Hermoso (Barcelona & Spain), Marie-Antoinette Katoto (Paris Saint-Germain & France), Eugénie Le Sommer (Lyon & France), Vivianne Miedema (Arsenal & Netherlands), Asisat Oshoala (Barcelona & Nigeria), Ewa Pajor (Wolfsburg & Poland), Nikita Parris (Lyon & England), Fridolina Rolfö (Wolfsburg & Sweden), Jill Roord (Netherlands & Arsenal).

Continue Reading

News

Arsenal news live: Gunners set to make £12m bid for Eriksen, Aouar bid instruction, Szoboszlai concern

Published

on




Arsenal news and gossip is coming in thick and fast and Sportarena is on hand to bring you all the very latest from Emirates stadium.

Arsenal concerns over Dominik Szoboszlai

Arsenal are keen to sign Red Bull Salzburg midfielder Dominik Szoboszlai but are not fully convinced of two areas in the playmaker’s game.

The 20-year-old has been heavily linked with a move to north London after a series of eye-catching displays for the Austrian side, scoring eight times and contributed nine assists in all competitions already this season.

However, while the Gunners are fans of the Hungary international, The Athletic claims the Premier League side have concerns about his ‘ball retention’ and ‘defensive capabilities’.

The report adds that Arsenal will likely face competition from AC Milan were they to pursue Dominik Szoboszlai with the Italians viewing him as a potential replacement for Hakan Calhanoglu, who is out of contract next summer.

Meanwhile, Red Bull Leipzig are also said to be ‘quietly confident’ of landing the playmaker after signing the likes of Naby Keita and Dayot Upamecano from sister club Salzburg in recent years.

Arsenal ready to make £12m Bid For Inter Milan midfielder Christian Eriksen

Arsenal are reportedly preparing to submit an offer for Inter Milan playmaker Christian Eriksen.

The Gunners boss Mikel Arteta is eager to strengthen his attacking option after struggling to in term of creativity that let his team sitting 14th position in the Premier League table.

However, according to Italian broadcaster Sport Mediaset, claim the Gunners are courting the struggling Danish national team player and are ready to make an offer of £12 million for Inter Milan.

The reports explains in details that Inter could reinvest the funds raised through the sale of the former Spur player into Napoli striker Arkadiusz Milik, who they have been linked with signing ahead of the upcoming January transfer window.

Campbell calls for Houssem Aouar bid in January

Ex-Arsenal forward Kevin Campbell has called on the club to make another bid to secure the signature of Lyon playmaker Houssem Aouar in January.

The Gunners are failed to convince Lyon to part ways with the highly-rated 22-year-old in the summer with the Ligue 1 side refusing to budge on their £54m asking price.

However, with Mikel Arteta’s side looking desperately short in the creative department, Campbell believes Aouar could be the perfect player to breathe new life into the midfield.

‘Look, it is a requirement for Arsenal to bring great players to the football club,’ Kevin told Football Insider.

‘We need players who are committed, who have talent and can express their talent. Aouar is a player that Arsenal have been coveting but they could not get the job done in the summer.

‘Lyon do not have any European ambitions this season so who knows whether the deal can be done in January. If it can be done and Arsenal can get him – go and get him. There should be no messing around.

‘But the Lyon president is a bit of a character so I am not sure if he would sanction the deal in January. I do though believe that he is still on Arsenal’s radar.’

Source link

Continue Reading

Popular this week