Connect with us

News

Law Students Sue ASUU For N10 Billion

Published

on

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), has been dragged before the Federal High Court Abuja, by the Law Students Association of Nigeria.

The student body is challenging what it described as the incessant strikes of the union.

In the suit which was filed at the court on Friday, the association is seeking an order to compel ASUU members to return to the classroom.

It also seeks an order of perpetual injunction to restrain ASUU from embarking on further strikes.

The suit which was filed by the President of the association, Mr Blessing Agbomhere on behalf of other members asks the court to compel ASUU to pay N10 billion compensation to Nigerian students.

This, the association claims is for allegedly infringing on the right of the students to education as guaranteed by Section 18 of the 1999 Constitution and Article 17 of African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights.

The association further asks the court to order ASUU to pay damages to all Nigerian students for the psychological and emotional torture meted out to them as well as the loss of valuable time following the continuous strike.

Agbomwere said that the suit was sequel to its findings that ASUU members had been short- changing the Federal Government by teaching in more than one university.

He said his investigation also revealed that members of the union were engaging in consultancy services in oil companies and collecting multiple salaries at the detriment of the Nigerian students.

Apart from ASUU, the association also joined Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi,

ASUU President, the Minister for Education, the Minister for Labour and Employment, the Attorney-General of Federation and the Federal Government as 2nd to 6th defendants in the suit.

The Law students are seeking among other reliefs, a declaration that the strike of the union is a breach of the right of members of the association to education.

“A declaration that the indefinite strike embarked upon by the 1st and 2nd defendants since March 2020, leading to the closure of government owned universities, which has detrimentally and negatively impacted on plaintiff’s learning and the smooth operation of academic calendar of universities, is a brazen infraction of the plaintiff’s right to education.

“An order of mandatory injunction compelling the 1st and 2nd defendants to call off the strike and return to the status quo ante bellum whilst negotiation for amicable resolution of the issues in contention or among the defendants is ongoing.

“An order of perpetual injunction restraining the 1st and 2nd defendants whether by themselves, servants, agents and/or privies from further declaring or embarking on indefinite and incessant strikes.”

The students are also seeking an order directing the 3rd to 6th defendants to re-open government owned universities and to honour their contractual agreements with the 1st and 2nd defendants in the overall interest of the plaintiffs.

The students are also asking the court to award the sum of N10 billion against the union.

“This is to serve as general and exemplary damages for the loss of valuable time, opportunity, mental torture, psychological anguish and general deprivation which the plaintiff has suffered or is likely to be exposed to on graduation.”

In his statement of claim, Agbomwere said that he is a Nigerian citizen, a final year law student of Baze University and currently the President of the Law Students Association of Nigeria (LAWSAN).

He further averred that the suit was sequel to a mandate given to him by the Senate of Law Students’ Association of Nigeria (LAWSAN), to institute this suit in a representative capacity against the defendants.

No date has however, been fixed to hear the suit.

ASUU has been on strike since March 2.

Officials of the union have been in a protracted negotiation with the Federal Government since then.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Entertainment News

Trevor Noah set to host 2021 Grammy Awards

Published

on


Host and comedian of the “The Daily Show” Trevor Noah has been announced as the host for the 2021 Grammy Awards.


The Recording Academy made the statement hours before the nominees for the upcoming show are exhibited.


“Despite the fact that I am extremely disappointed that the GRAMMYs have refused to have me sing or be nominated for best pop album, I am thrilled to be hosting this auspicious event,” Noah said in a statement. 

“I think as a one-time GRAMMY nominee, I am the best person to provide a shoulder to all the amazing artists who do not win on the night because I too know the pain of not winning the award! (This is a metaphorical shoulder, I’m not trying to catch Corona). See you at the 63rd GRAMMYs!”

Harvey Mason jr., chair and interim president/CEO of the Recording Academy, said: “With a knack for keeping viewers engaged and entertained, Trevor is the perfect choice to lead us through what’s sure to be an incredible evening full of music, unforgettable moments, unity and inspiration. He is a dynamic host, comedian and personality, and we’re thrilled to welcome him to the Grammy stage as host of Music’s Biggest Night for the first time.”

George Cheeks, CBS Entertainment Group president and CEO, added: “Trevor’s comedy talents, engaging energy and unique perspective make him the perfect host for the Grammys. At the same time, it’s very exciting to have one of our biggest ViacomCBS stars center stage for one of CBS’ marquee events. With Trevor hosting and ‘The Late Late Show’s’ Ben Winston producing, it’s yet another example of our combined company’s power in music, entertainment, and the biggest live events.”

The 63rd Annual Grammy Awards will be televised on Sunday, Jan. 31, 2021, on CBS Television Network at 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT. The Grammy Awards Premiere Ceremony will be streamed live on GRAMMY.com at 3:00 p.m. ET / 12:00 p.m. PT.

Get more stories like this on Twitter

Source link

Continue Reading

News

Watch Full Highlight: Rennes 1-2 Chelsea

Published

on




Chelsea are booked their place in the Uefa Champions League last-16 following a late 2-1 victory in Rennes on Tuesday evening.

The Blues won the reverse fixture 3-0 earlier this month but they were made to work a lot harder for Tuesday’s victory – means Frank Lampard’s men are made sixth win in a row in all competitions.

Serhou Guirassy looked to have rescued a point for Ligue 1 side Rennes when he cancelled out Callum Hudson-Odoi’s first-half opener in the 85th minute at Roazhon Park.

But second-half substitute Olivier Giroud won it in added time to ensure Chelsea will progress from Group E along with Sevilla, who defeat Krasnodar 1-2 at home.

German hitman, Timo Werner blazed over the crossbar from six yards but Hudson-Odoi, who set up that early chance, soon had Chelsea in front when he controlled Mason Mount’s long pass and tucked home after 22 minutes of the game.

Mount should have added his name to the score-sheet seven minutes later, the midfielder thwarted by a superb reaction save from goalkeeper Alfred Gomis.

Chelsea were denied a second when Timo Werner – on target twice from the penalty spot in the reverse fixture – converted Cesar Azpilicueta’s cross but was flagged for offside.

Rennes had lost their previous three matches in all competitions without scoring but they managed to find a way past Edouard Mendy, who joined Chelsea from the Ligue 1 side in September.

Edouard Mendy did well to save attempts from Gerzino Nyamsi and Guirassy but the latter made the hosts’ pressure tell when left all alone to head in.

Just when it looked like Rennes had done enough to frustrate Chelsea, Olivier Giroud – on the field for 22 minutes – towered above Nyamsi to score a header of his own after Werner’s initial shot was saved.

Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment News

Comedian Trevor Noah announced as host for the 2021 Grammy Awards

Published

on



South African comedian and “The Daily Show” host, Trevor Noah, has been announced as the host for the 2021 Grammy Awards.


The Recording Academy made the announcement hours before the nominees for the upcoming show are revealed.

“Despite the fact that I am extremely disappointed that the GRAMMYs have refused to have me sing or be nominated for best pop album, I am thrilled to be hosting this auspicious event,” Noah said in a statement.

“I think as a one-time GRAMMY nominee, I am the best person to provide a shoulder to all the amazing artists who do not win on the night because I too know the pain of not winning the award! (This is a metaphorical shoulder, I’m not trying to catch Corona). See you at the 63rd GRAMMYs!”

Harvey Mason jr., chair and interim president/CEO of the Recording Academy, said: “With a knack for keeping viewers engaged and entertained, Trevor is the perfect choice to lead us through what’s sure to be an incredible evening full of music, unforgettable moments, unity and inspiration. He is a dynamic host, comedian and personality, and we’re thrilled to welcome him to the Grammy stage as host of Music’s Biggest Night for the first time.”

George Cheeks, CBS Entertainment Group president and CEO, added: “Trevor’s comedy talents, engaging energy and unique perspective make him the perfect host for the Grammys. At the same time, it’s very exciting to have one of our biggest ViacomCBS stars center stage for one of CBS’ marquee events. With Trevor hosting and ‘The Late Late Show’s’ Ben Winston producing, it’s yet another example of our combined company’s power in music, entertainment, and the biggest live events.”

The 63rd Annual Grammy Awards will be broadcast on Sunday, Jan. 31, 2021, on the CBS Television Network at 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT. The Grammy Awards Premiere Ceremony will be streamed live on GRAMMY.com at 3:00 p.m. ET / 12:00 p.m. PT.

Information NG

Continue Reading

Popular this week