Connect with us

News

Police Detain #EndSARS Protester, Moyinoluwa, For 30 Days Without Trial

Published

on

Moyinoluwa Olowoyo, an #EndSARS protester, has been detained by the Ekiti State Police Command for 30 days without trial for taking part in demonstrations in the state, his family has said.

According to The PUNCH, the 26-year-old student of the Federal Polytechnic, Ado Ekiti, was arrested on October 20, 2020, by the Department of State Services in Ado Ekiti before being handed over to the State Criminal Investigation Department.

Two days after his arrest, the student was transported to the Force Criminal Investigation Department, Abuja for about a week for unknown reasons and then taken back to Ado Ekiti where he has remained ever since.

Moyinoluwa’s younger brother, Olayemi, told The PUNCH that his brother was never involved in any violent protest as all his protest videos on social media clearly show him warning people against violence.

Olayemi said his brother may have been singled out because he is a former member of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party.

He said his family was asked to write an apology letter to the Governor Kayode Fayemi-led state government before he would be released.

Olayemi stated, “My brother never attacked anyone. In fact, his videos on Twitter show him calling on people not to attack anybody. But he was arrested on October 20, 2020. He works at Fajuyi Market where he sells phones and he is also a student at the Federal Polytechnic Ado Ekiti. He is 26 years old. I was told that he was arrested at Fajuyi Park. He was arrested by the DSS and then handed over to SCID. They said we should return on October 22 but when we returned, we were told that he had been taken to Abuja.

“An activist in Abuja, Henry Shield, intervened and police said they would not release him until they get orders from above. They took him back to Ekiti State on October 28.

“One of the activists handling the matter said the Commissioner of Police and the Attorney General in the state asked that a letter of apology must be written before he is released and I was against this but my father agreed to do so because of my mother’s health condition.”
A bail application by a lawyer, Nkereuwem Akpan, addressed to the Deputy Inspector-General of Police, Force Intelligence Bureau, dated November 3, 2020, stated that Moyinoluwa had not been charged with any crime and yet the police had refused to release him.

Speaking with our correspondent, activist, Henry Shield, said Ekiti Senator, Abiodun Olujimi, also tried to intervene but it seemed the police were bent on detaining Moyinoluwa for reasons best known to them.

Shield said the police had no genuine reason for taking Moyinoluwa to Abuja in the first place and accused the Federal Government of running a police state.

He said, “We got the senator involved and she confirmed to us that they were demanding an apology. I understand that the guy’s father wrote the apology but the police have still refused to release him. There is no court order for his detention.

“In fact, there was no reason for his transfer to Abuja. It was actually hoodlums that arrested him and handed him over to the DSS before police took over. That is to show you how lawless Nigeria is.”

But the spokesman for the governor, Yinka Oyebode, denied that the state government had a hand in Moyinoluwa’s arrest

Oyebode said the matter was purely a police matter, adding that inquiries should be directed at the Police Public Relations Officer.

However, the police spokesman, Sunday Abutu, neither responded to repeated calls nor a text message on Saturday.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Entertainment News

Man Vows Not To Eat Until Nigeria Gets Better

Published

on


A Nigerian man has taken to social media with a placard stating that he will never eat again until Nigeria gets better.


Man Vows Not To Eat Until Nigeria Gets Better


The young man identified with the username @Iam_Prodigal made known his intention after he took took the reply section of several prominent Nigerian celebrities replying with a photo of him carrying a placard.

Man Vows Not To Eat Until Nigeria Gets Better

On the placard, it was boldly written, “I won’t eat until Nigeria gets better”.

Meanwhile, in another news, popular Nigerian afrobeats singer, Tiwa Savage’s third and recent album, “Celia” has made it to UK Time Magazine’s list of 10 Best Albums of the years 2020. Read full story HERE.

Previous articleFans excited as Tacha reconciles with her boyfriend, King Ladi

Gistreel

Continue Reading

News

Blackout As Power Grid Collapses

Published

on

Parts of the country were plunged into a total blackout for hours on Sunday after the nation’s power grid collapsed again, The PUNCH reports.

Two of the power distribution companies in the country, Kaduna Electric and Eko Electricity Distribution Company, announced the national grid collapse on Sunday afternoon.

Kaduna Electric, in a message to its customers via its Twitter handle, said, “We regret to inform you that the loss of power supply in our franchise – Kaduna, Sokoto, Kebbi and Zamfara states – is as a result of the collapse of the national grid. The collapse occurred at about 11:26 am this morning.

“Supply shall be restored as soon as the grid is back up. We regret all inconveniences,” the Disco added.

EKEDC, in a text message sent to its customers, said, “Dear customer, there is a system collapse on the national grid. Supply will be restored as soon as the issue is resolved. Apologies for the inconvenience.

The grid, which is being managed by government-owned Transmission Company of Nigeria, has continued to suffer system collapse over the years amid a lack of spinning reserve that is meant to forestall such occurrences.

Spinning reserve is the generation capacity that is online but unloaded and that can respond within 10 minutes to compensate for generation or transmission outages.

Continue Reading

News

Wife Worried As Husband Treat Her Nice After Catching Her Cheating With A Man On Their Matrimonial Bed

Published

on


Lady caught cheating with another man gets so worried as husband refuses to talk about the incident but rather been so nice to her.

Read also No Makeup Photo of Actress Genevieve Nnaji Causes Stirs Online

The lady who wants to remain anonymous has shared her ordeal of her husband paying her with kindness after catching her in bed with another man


According to the husband caught her in bed with another man in their matrimonial home.


The husband after bumping on her cheating has not spoken a word about the incident but rather he has changed to a complete different man.

Read also ”Aunty Genevieve Never Grows Old”-Netizen React After Actress Genevieve Drops No Makeup Picture

He now loves her so much than before and its eating her up.

Even though the husband is doing his best to make her, she is still unhappy as he has not said a word about the situation

Source link

Continue Reading

Popular this week