Connect with us

News

Saraki, Ahmed sold land meant for courtrooms, Kwara land DG tells panel

Published

on


By Adekunle Jimoh, Ilorin

Kwara Land Bureau Director General Bolaji Edun has told the Judicial Panel on Assets Recovery that the administrations of Bukola Saraki and AbdulFatah Ahmed sold several plots of land allocated in the 1980s for the construction of courtrooms in Ilorin were arbitrarily sold out.


Edun added the lands in Tanke area of Ilorin had been allocated to the judiciary as part of the planning for the state but were gradually auctioned from 2009 without the government first revoking the allocation of same in line with the law.


Edun was answering questions regarding a petition filed to the panel by the state judiciary which seeks restoration of the land amid shortage of courtrooms in the state capital.

The judiciary also complained of unlawful encroachment on the leftover of the land by at least two occupants: Candidate Hotel and the Nigeria Society of Engineering Secretariat.

Edun said the earliest state allocations on the land were made in 2009 and the issuance of C of O started in 2013 while the Bureau of Lands could not find the C of O of Candidate Hotel in its record.

“The extension and encroachment seen at the Hotel were not part of the C of O granted. In fact there is no record of its title in our files,” he said.

Edun clarified the entire land from Rhema Chapel around Tanke Tipper Garage to Prince Gambari building in Tanke Iledu was allocated to the state judiciary in 1980.

Also testifying, the Acting Surveyor-General of Kwara Ibrahim Muhammad admitted that the entire land belongs to the judiciary, saying he could not find any file in respect of revocation of the land from the judiciary.

On Wednesday, members of the Kwara Judicial Commission of Inquiry on the sales of Government assets inspected the land where Candidate Hotel and Nigeria Society of Engineering Secretariat are built in Tanke.

Chairman of the panel Justice Olabanji Orilonishe had earlier adjourned the ongoing public hearing for the inspection following inconsistencies in the testimony of the chairman of Candidate Hotel Raphael Adunmo before the panel.

During the visit, the panel found out massive encroachment on the land, with existing judiciary structures for high courts converted to poultry and the hotel’s makeshift bar.

The panel observed the Candidate Hotel and Nigeria Society of Engineering Secretariat are built on the frontage of the proposed Kwara State High Court in Tanke.

Adunmo, a retired Chief Town Planning Officer in the state, had earlier denied building permanent structures beyond his approved land but later admitted encroachment when the hearing resumed after the visit.

“There was a publication in respect of the layout of the land and I applied. I was given allocation and I have papers for my allocation and C of O. I encroached on the land because it became problem for my hotel. It used to be criminal hideout,” he admitted.

Adunmo said he took over the structure when it became a hideout for criminals after several reports to F Division Police Station and the then Commissioner for Lands and Housing, Dr Bayo Ishola, and others officials of the ministry without allocation.

The Nation

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

News

Bandits now rule in many communities – Jama’atu Nasril Islam

Published

on

The Jama’atu Nasril Islam (JNI) under the leadership of the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar has reacted to the killing of over 40 rice farmers in Zabarmari, Jere Local Government Area of Borno State.

JNI in a statement released by its Secretary-General Dr. Khalid Abubakar Aliyu, alleged that bandits now set rules that must be obeyed in some communities.

Daily Trust reported that the group added that Nigerians have become so much terrified as nowhere is safe.

The statement read;

“Unfortunately, the common man is caught in-between two contending phenomenon; when he goes to the farm, he gets killed and when he stays at home he dies of hunger. It should be known that this singular act of Zabarmari was a calculated attempt to instill fears among farmers and jeopardize the frantic efforts of returning Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) to their localities by the Borno state government under the leadership of Governor Babagana Umar Zulum.

“JNI identifies with the government and people of Borno State, over the gruesome massacre of innocent rice farmers in Zabarmari, Jere Local Government, which was the height of bloodletting ever committed in recent history. Fourty-three (43) human beings as reported by the media were slaughtered without any intervention by the security forces in the area. The senseless act stand condemned in the strongest of terms.

“Wanton killings, acts of banditry, kidnapping for ransom, high rate of unemployment amongst the youths, rape and all forms of terrorism have now become the ‘New Trend’ in our communities. Nigerians have become so much terrified, as nowhere is safe; the home, the farms and the roads.
For how long, would we continue to live a life in fear?

”For how long, can we continue to wait in vain? For how long shall we continue to condemn acts of terrorism without any concerted efforts in ending it? For how long, would we continue to remain indolent? And for how long can we continue to remain hopeless in a precarious situation such as what we are in presently?

“We appreciate the tireless efforts of the Borno State Governor, His Excellency, Prof. Babagana Umar Zulum and once again call on the federal government to rise up to its responsibilities and do well beyond the traditional condemnation, as lip service(s) on security matters should stop.

“Muslims should eschew all forms of disobedience to Allah (SWT), repent and go back to the ways of the Lord of the universe, while Imams must not relent, to recommence the Qunootun-Nawazil (special prayers at calamitous periods in the last Raka’at of each obligatory prayer and non-obligatory prayers), seeking Allah’s intervention for an end to these repeated sad pogroms.”

Continue Reading

News

Governor Umahi sacks all political appointees from former AGF, Anyim’s local government

Published

on

The faceoff between Governor David Umahi and former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Pius Anyim has taken another twist as the Ebonyi state Governor has sacked all his political appointees from his former ally’s local government.

The sack came after Anyim wrote an open letter to Mr Umahi and copied President Muhammadu Buhari and heads of security agencies in the country. He accused Mr Umahi of plotting to kill him, among other issues he raised.

However in a statement released on Wednesday December 2 by secretary to the state government, Kenneth Ugbala, the state government said the removal of the appointees from Ivo local government area was based on the policy of inclusive governance by Umahi’s administration.

Those affected by the sack are: All Senior Technical Assistants (STAs) and Technical Assistants (TAs) to the Governor; All Liaison Officers; and All Management Committee members from Ivo Local Government Area.

The affected officeholders are expected to hand over all government property in their possession to the office of the SSG and coordinating commissioner.

The statement read;

“In keeping with the policy of inclusive governance, the Governor of Ebonyi State, His Excellency Engr Chief David Nweze Umahi has approved the removal from office of the following political office holders from Ivo Local Government Area.

“They are All Senior Technical Assistant, STAs and Technical Assistants, TAs from Ivo Local Government Area.

“All Liaison Officers from Ivo Local Government Area; All Management Committee members from Ivo Local Government Area.

“The affected office holders are to handover all Government Property in their possession to the Secretary to the State Government and Coordinating Commissioner by the close of work today, 2nd December 2020.”

Continue Reading

News

More focus will be placed on local intelligence and community policing so we receive information quickly and react faster – Osinbajo speaks on Zabarmari massacre

Published

on

Osinbajo

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has commented Zabarmari massacre which claimed the lives of 43 farmers.

Osinbajo who disclosed that he has spoken to Borno Governor Babagana Zulum and former Governor Kashim Shettima, said a lot more focus will be placed on local intelligence and community policing so information can be received quickly and acted on faster.

He added that they will ensure that justice is served. The Vice President tweeted;

We suffered a major tragedy when terrorists attacked the Borno Farming Community. As a brother, father and Nigerian, I am incredibly devastated by these acts of violence.

I have spoken to Governor Babagana Zulum and former Governor Kashim Shettima. A lot more focus will be placed on local intelligence and community policing so we receive information quickly and react faster.

Our hearts are with the families and loved ones of those who lost their lives in the terrorist attack on the farming community in Borno State. We will ensure justice is served.

Continue Reading

Popular this week